Sunday, October 05, 2014

Comet in Moominland - Tove Jansson

This is the Hundred-and-thirty-ninth in my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.

It has been unusual for me to be reading a book from my childhood that I've not read since then. I have always reread all my favourite books regardless of their genre. In this case I had somehow overlooked Tove Jansson's classic books, perhaps because they lack visibility in my hometown, but I had never forgotten them. A visit to Sweden and Finland, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of Tove Jansson's birth and a walk through a retrospective of her paintings and objects and illustrations made me determined to revisit the books, which I am now doing.

I was a little nervous when I sat down to read the first book. Would I be disappointed? Would my memory have overstated the reality. I was not disappointed. I was amazed and delighted. The illustrations are an eloquent story all of their own, but the simplicity of the words and strength of the characters combine to make something amazing. Mr13 has now read this book and he said the same thing. He also said 'I really like Snufkin' and I have to agree. Many of the characters are an uncomfortable mirror but Snufkin is also inspirational in his desire for freedom and his ability to walk on stilts!

This book is a marvel and has been added to my 'must have' books on my bookshelf.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment