Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mindful and Arty

We visited the Van Gogh, Dalí and Beyond: The World Reimagined exhibition at the Art Gallery of WA last weekend.

A few years ago when we were visiting the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh an elderly attendant asked my son, on the way in, to come back at the end of the visit and tell him what he had liked - which he did. It was a great tip for helping a youngster enjoy the gallery. We've done that ever since - told each other our best couple of works - and this has proved a good technique for avoiding the overload that you can get in a gallery. It makes you focus more on a couple of works and not let them all merge into a big blur. A kind of mindful artiness.

Let me share my favourites from this exhibition.


From 75 Varick to the Holland Tunnel Entrance - Rackstraw Downes


Violin and Grapes - Pablo Picasso


Meadowland - Gerhard Richter

I've shown a picture of the card for the best titled painting. You will have to imagine the painting, but the detail is all there in the title! I think Dali had a sense of humour.


Debris of an Automobile Giving Birth to a Blind Horse Biting a Telephone - Salvador Dali


The snaps from my camera don't do any of these works justice, and are not meant to, but they are a visual 'note' for me to remind myself about them and a way of sharing. I may never get to see these particular works again but I had a good long look and have fond memories of the exhibition to treasure.

The photo of the card reminds me of a visit to the National Museum of Cardiff (which is also an art gallery). I took a photo of a painting and then its card and the kind attendant pointed out to me that the card I'd just photographed had a large "no photos" logo on it. Embarrass, but she was very kind about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment