Friday, July 04, 2014

Not dead yet

I had the pleasure (or drew the short straw depending on your point of view) of making the farewell speech for my boss today at a whole of staff morning tea. She is leaving us for the ranks of the retired after a long and distinguished career.

I couldn't help but think of the eulogies that I have delivered, fortunately only a few, and how I've always tried to reflect the whole person. If you ignore or gloss over all imperfections then you rob the eulogy of authenticity and you do a disservice to those who knew the person and to the person, who is after all composed of all the highs and lows that make us human.

However this wasn't quite a eulogy, as the person was right in front of me, occasionally interjecting, looking thoughtful or laughing. She also had the right of reply!

All in all it was more fun than a eulogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment