Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien

This is the Hundred-and-thirteenth in my one-book-at-a-time bookshelf.


This middle volume of the three book set is neatly divided into the story of two journeys (with some further separate journeys in the first that come together at the end). I've always particularly anticipated the first journey that ends up at the foot of Orthanc and dragged my heels at the thought of starting the dreary journey across the marshlands. Yet I always find when I read that second story that the dreary section isn't as long or as dire as memory would have it. Perhaps that says something about the impact of the writing that memory accords more size to something that actually isn't that over whelming in the story. If you asked me how I felt about the book as a whole, at the time I've just read it, I would say - excellent.

If none of that makes sense to you then perhaps you need another (or first) read of Tolkien's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment