The slides and audio of my talk are now available online.
One of the things I talked about were our virtual library principles. They describe what we think a successful virtual library would look like and they have been helpful in our strategic and operational planning.
I share them here.
The following principles guide the development and management of the virtual library.
The Virtual Library will:
- endeavour to deliver services and resources anytime, on any device, at any location, using the principles of universal design, without unnecessary access restriction.
- provide information about services and resources that is coherent, client centred, comprehensive and correct.
- be innovative in the services and resources it provides and in the ways it delivers them.
- provide services and resources that encourage clients to be self-sufficient.
- make clear the role and availability of library staff behind the provision of services and resources, encouraging the use of images and contact details of library staff and avoiding anonymous/automated/[disembodied] responses.