Thursday, June 04, 2015

What is your secret name?

For many years I have been mistaken for someone called David.

I do work with a David but even people who have never met my colleague have called me David, sometimes people who I've just met and sometimes people I've known for years. And it isn't just that they get my name wrong, it is that they invariably chose David rather than some random name.

Ms16 says she has had the same experience at school (no, not being called David) where teachers mistake her for Rachel even teachers who know her but also some who don't. This has happened for years and at times and places where there is no other Rachel.

Ms16 and I have concluded that everyone has a secret name, a name that fits at some fundamental, elemental level and that our secret name saturated the aether about our physical presence and other people subconsciously detect that secret name and are compelled to use it.

What is your secret name?

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes people who don't know me very well call me "Candace" when they meet me. This always gives a shock, because one of my sisters is named Candace. And no, these people don't know me well enough to know I have any sisters, much less to mistake me for my sister Candace! Is this my secret name? I have no idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a vendor who continues to call me Trevor. :))
    Mieke has one who calls her Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People call me Jackie :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian. I say Graeme but some hear Brian

    ReplyDelete