Friday, June 20, 2014

Departures

Today was the last day at work for a colleague who has been at my place of work, in one role or another, and at one site or another, for well over 20 years and who is retiring. I've worked closely with her for the last dozen years. I watched as she took her final leave, wandering from area to area, being fare-welled by staff who had celebrated with her at a morning tea yesterday and at a farewell dinner last night. She will be back in a couple of weeks for a function and we all expect to see her from time to time over the coming years, but she will no longer be a fixture, first to arrive and last to leave. I will look around a meeting to see what she has to say and she won't be there. I will think about coffee but she won't be there to invite. She is moving on and we are staying behind.

I think that moment of retirement makes us all reflect on the journey and take stock.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment