Monday, June 02, 2014

The doors

I am fascinated by doors and I know that I am not alone. Here are a few from my recent travels in Northern Europe. I am a good tourist but a poor historian and you will have to wonder where they are.

I like the unusual design above the door, sort of two symbolic fish tail to tail.

Everything looks ancient here except the doors, presumably renewed from time to time. I also liked the tunnel and wonder if it was a later addition being so close to the door.

Again a mixture of old and new, electric night light, electric cable up the wall and letter slot.

Rather grand entry statement, except for the cafe sign!

There is a decided lopsideness to these doors.


And in this last one it is very much the doors that attracted my attention. I'm a sucker for lions and engraved figures in general.

And it is of course not actually the doors but the arch and walls and the pieces that go together to make a statement about what is on the other side. These are not just convenient entrances but expressions of what some person wanted.




1 comment:

  1. "These are not just convenient entrances but expressions of what some person wanted." ...could be said about library entrances too!

    ReplyDelete